About Me

My name is Matt Heaton. I am the President and CEO of Bluehost.com, Hostmonster.com and Fastdomain.com. This is my personal blog site where I share thoughts and experiences involving the web hosting industry and my personal life. In the past I had almost no information on this page but have recently decided to update it a little with some professional and personal information. Below are some of the “vital stats”.

I am 36 years old
I have been married for 13 years
I have 5 children (4 boys first and then finally got our little girl!)
I was a missionary in Taiwan (Yes, I can still speak Mandarin, but its getting a bit rusty at this point)
I love ping pong, and am a nationally ranked 1650 player (SOON I hope to be above 1800 after I attend the US Open in Las Vegas in July)
I LOVE all things web and am a serial entrepreneur
When I was 21 I open my first computer hardware store (Computer Warehouse), by 23 I had three stores going with about 35 employees
At age 26 I decided to sell off the computer store and concentrate on my web statistics software that I had written on the side while I still owned Computer Warehouse.
The web statistics software went very well and eventually transferred over to starting a business where I did free hosting.

If you have comments or just want to say “HI!” you can always email me directly at matt@bluehost.com.

Thanks,
Matt Heaton / Bluehost.com

79 Responses to “About Me”

1. [...] a favicon. I wasn’t happy with my crude graphics skills. So, I abandoned it for the standard bluehost favicon. That funky blue [...]

2. [...] web address of their “competitor” ? That’s why I decided to write an e-mail to Matt Heaton, the President and CEO of Bluehost.com, to know something more. Here is my e-mail and his short [...]

3. [...] On the positive side, they do have instant support via chat and their CEO, Matt Heaton appears to have the best intentions; he  maintains his own blog where you can contact him (yes, his email is listed) here. [...]

4. [...] web hosts and Matt Heaton cheerfully mentions the relationship between BlueHost and HostMonster on his blog. So why the [...]

5. Matt Angello says:

Hello Matt- I have been a BlueHost customer for two years. I congratulate you on your successful endeavor. As an executive coach and former Fortune 500 executive, I know the types of challenges you face daily.

Which is why I wanted to provide you with this feedback. During this limited service outage (Jan. 5-9 and ongoing) my business mail has been down. There is limited functionality (can’t access control panel), though my site has remained up.

But I have never dealt with consistently more surly and unhelpful support people in any organization. I’ve requested having my site moved to an unaffected server and have not even had the thought entertained for a nanosecond. I know that this attack has to be challenging, but with customer service like this, I believe that you are going out of business…slowly.

One of the greatest challenges business leaders face is the ability to receive unfiltered information, ergo this note.

I humbly request your assistance and wish you the best.

6. Kelly Gibson says:

Dear Mr. Heaton:

I have been developing web sites for about 5 years. Since that time I have had nothing but headaches and heart breaks with other servers. Two years ago I came across your service (HostMonster) and could not be more thrilled! As a newbie to the web site world I often have many “beginner” questions. In the past my only choice was to send an email and hope to get a helpful responce which rarely, if ever happened. Then I came across HostMonster. I could not believe how wonderful your service is.

I was no longer forced to become a nameless and faceless “E-Ticket.” I did not have to deal with the frustration and aggrivation of people hiding behind technology. Your service and your staff are always there at the touch of a finger to help me with my problems and assist me in the day to day operations of developing and uploading my sites.

You have no idea how wonderful it is to be able to talk to a real person 24/7 in this ever expanding world of technology. Your staff are always friendly and helpful! I take my hat off to you, Mr. Heaton! You make my job so easy. I cannot thank you enough for everything you have accomplished! I wish you all the best and look forward to a long and happy business relationship with your company.

Sincerly,
    K. Gibson
    Grizzly Enterprise.

7. Gus says:

Helllo Matt Heaton! I just love the bluehost for more than 5 years! …. but today bluehost system make a error! In the web file manager i selected just one folder to delete from public_html, and when a click in delete, than the file maneger delete all of the files in public_html…. Gbs in less 1 second!) Can you save me by recover the “shadow of the disk? the domain is farolmultimedia.com

tks!

8. Brandon says:

Matt! I just wanted to drop a line and say way to go and thanks! I use your service and think you guys do a great job. Your customer service is top-notch and have been impressed in my short time (almost 1 year) as a BlueHost customer.

Also… as a resident of Provo, I have a couple of friends that are employed by your company and they seem to enjoy it.

Thanks for providing a great service and great jobs.

9. Arief says:

Hello Matt,
    I have been very pleased with bluehost ever since I moved here. I have been telling every one I know to abandon their old slow-frustrating host and move to the fast-friendly bluehost. I really did this.
    Just today I receive a not-so-friendly mail from bluehost, notifying that my account has been suspended due to a virus attack or something like that. I asked the customer support about what happened. I could follow any instruction, and I am sure that I follow every detail regarding protective steps. Somehow, I was put in an impossible solution : to manually search through hundreds of files in my sites to seek for the virus manually. I personally think, unless you’re a programming-genius its an impossible solution for just-a-user like myself.
    I asked them (the support staff) furthermore, if I have done any of the above and I still haven’t find a clue so what should I do ? They said its time for me to choose for another hosting service.
    I am desperately seeking help for my problem, and I do hope that you can get me a painless solution.
    Thanks.

10. Seth Zuber says:

Matt, My name is Seth Zuber. I currently have you host http://www.sethzuber.com. I recently had a problem. Partially …. My oversight; Partially… Me not being informed that i needed to manually renew my URL every month. I already have sugested 2 of my clients to you. I would love to continue a good relationship with your hosting srrevice but it seems I am being charged a fee. When I was simply unnotified of what couls result. Please either yourself Camile in billing contact me as soon as possible .

Thank you.

11. Seth Zuber says:

I just wanted to thank you and the team there at Bluehost.com for the quick response to my problem. Sometimes when a company get so large they can quickly become very impersonal and uncaring. I am happy to say Bluehost did address my problem in a timely manner to resolution. I appreciate the quick response to my issue. It took a few calls, but I am 100 percent satisfied with the results. I will continue to recommend you to any future customers of mine and hope to join your client program.

Thank you.

seth

12. Joe Dunegan says:

Hello Matt. I have been with Hostmonster.com over three years and I must say, I’ve been very pleased with not only the service, but the support I have gotten when it was needed. My previous experience with hosting companies was not a very good one. They first sold out to another company and then finally went belly up. I lost two of my original domain names because I could never get anyone to provide me with the EPP codes so that I could have them transfered. So with your continued support and site improvements, I won’t be looking for another service anytime soon.

Keep up thew good work

Joe Dunegan

13. Matt says:

Hi Matt.

I have been affiliate to bluehost, for more than 2 years already, making websites and hosting to bluehost. Bluehost has been my main tool, and great tool.

I was reading, and i see you were a missionary, now i understand why your business has progressed, AS you i am missionary too. I am 32 years old, i live in Florida, us.. But Now i am in Lima Peru. My goal with my business its to make places where poor people can eat for low or nothing of money, they can have health and education.

I hope That’s God will.

God keep blessing you, and keep it like that.

GOOD JOB, friend.

Javier Montenegro
    CEO MWDesigners.net – webdesign company
    constructoramcd.com – construccion company
    http://www.mipuntope.com – red social

14. Spellsoup says:

Hello Matt,

When the time came for me to publish my own website, I was overwhelmed with information. I chose Hostmonster, all good so far! I now recommend it to all my clients . Compliments to your technical staff and response time. Will keep in touch! Thank you.

15. jimmau says:

Matt

I have had some REALLY BAD web hosts in my 15 years or so on line and HostMonster.com is definitely NOT one of them. How is it that someone can be 99% happy with a web hosting service? Hey, nobody’s perfect and sure there are troubles now and then but, compared to the misery of past hosting experiences, I couldn’t be happier. I have been hosting my sites on HostMonster for about 5 years now and have no desire to relocate. Keep up the good work my friend. – jimmau

16. Bacephalus says:

One of my clients on your server had their website hacked undoubtedly due to the shoddy password system. This was a radiology service. A malicious script was put into a page.

Your company deactivated the account without contacting me.
    It would have been taken care of instantly had I been aware.
    I called and received a voice-mail for about 2 days.
    I called Mr. Ashworth.. but did not receive a call back.
    After the script was removed, the site was reactivated HOWEVER:
    My clients emails were not activated and I was on the phone with a senior supervisor for over an hour and several phone calls to reactivate the email. The issue was inevitably resolved with an IT oversight on your end.
    This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If my client were to go after me due to loss of service, inevitably, no matter what “TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT INDICATES” you would have a lawsuit on your hands.
    THIS PROTOCOL MUST IMPROVE.

17. Tal says:

Hi Matt!

Love your BlueHost.com.

U R the best.

Keep the good work!

18. matt says:

This site was “hacked” not because of our system, but because of a SUPER weak password being used. We really can’t be blamed for that, but we did force most users to change their passwords because of dictionary based passwords that are easily cracked. I understand the frustration, but we can’t leave sites up that were hacked and doing damage until we can contact the customer. It HAS to go down first to keep everyone elses sites up and available.

Matt Heaton

19. Bob Hicken says:

Matt,
    Your hosting is by far the fastest I have ever used! I send all of my customers to your hosting company because of it’s reliability and customer support.

Best wishes!

Bob Hicken
    SEO
    Killerclimbs.com

20. Donna Brown says:

I think BlueHost is absolutely AWESOME! Customer service is second to NONE and wonderful for web newbies like me! I send business your way every chance I get…even have your link on my website! Couldn’t ask for a better web host!!! Keep up the GREAT work!!!!

21. Ed Green says:

I have never used your hosting Matt. I will certainly give it a whirl though. A very intereting bio, I love a good story.

22. Financial says:

Hi Matt, I’ve been using bluehost for quite a while and it’s pretty much the best cheap hosting out there. Now will you mind if I leave a backlink on your blog?:P
    Thanks, Dan

23. Steve Britton says:

Hi Matt, I have been a loyal Blue Host client since 2007. It’s fast and I like using Simple Scripts to install Drupal. My only gripe is the Postini anti-spam ads that pop up each time that I log into the control panel. I was told that this is only supposed to happen once. I use several computers to log into my Blue Host account and I get hit with these pop ups all the time. I know that you are in business to make money, but there must be a better way to promote Postini. I would even be willing to pay an additional fee not to get the Postini pop up ads. Thank you for running a great hosting service.

24. Marcus says:

Great Hosting !

25. Bookslinger says:

Matt, if you ever get the missionary bug, and if you still like Chinese food, take a Chinese BoM (Simplified script, the one with the -265 suffix) along with an english BoM to your favorite Chinese restaurants (Ok, most Chinese restaurants serve Americanized-chinese), and offer it to them free as “ESL” (english as a second language) material for them to read.

The ones that are right off the boat from Mainland China usually love it. I’ve placed 100’s that way. No baptisms, but lots of fun, and I think it helps in the long run.

Get the books from http://www.ldscatalog.com (‘Simplified Script’ for people from the Mainland, and “regular” for people from Taiwan/Hong Kong.)

Enjoy.

26. gailsymonds says:

Hi Matt! Love your BlueHost.com. Kick ass hosting. Thanks dude.

27. Hi Matt,

I have been a customer for a few years now and I have enjoyed a really good service. Hats off to you for setting up these companies which are thriving.

Thanks

Amir

28. will amato says:

Hey Matt

Ive been hosted with you for a couple of years now, and have also — happily –steered a large number of clients your way. Thanks for the great service, all around. My site has never crashed, even once, and every time Ive called customer service with a technical issue, Ive gotten through within minutes, and the person on the other end is always polite, patient, friendly, and helpful….and you cant ask for better than that.

Have a great summer.

Will

29. [...] Open Letter To Bluehost July 26, 2010 | Posted by Randydeluxe To: Matt Heaton, President and CEO of [...]

30. NeuroMan42 says:

Seriously dropped the ball, Matt… http://bit.ly/bAYjiL

31. corhen says:

Mr. Heaton,

Today, your company dumped a good customer without warning or just cause. Out of the blue today, you made the decision to unplug all of Scott Johnson’s Frogpants network of podcasts, blogs and social media. It is difficult to estimate how many potential customers you have given error to today, but in iTunes alone, you have refused service to possibly 100,000+ people. Those people need to know who is suddenly preventing them from accessing what they’re looking for.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you – since it’s your job to know such things – but you have just dumped:

An entire network of podcasts and blogs, comprising a dozen very successful podcasters who have disparate audiences of thousands and in some cases tens of thousands of listeners.
    A massive web of highly effective social media mavens, most of whom have thousands of followers in Twitter.
    Media that has an unusually high international reach, with well above-average numbers of listeners outside of the United States.
    One of the top 100 podcasts in the world, according to listeners in iTunes, The Instance.
    A cursory glance at your own Twitter feed makes it clear that you don’t understand or value the power and utility of social media. Today’s bit of bad business by you was clearly the result of cold, hard calculation: you made an agreement with Scott Johnson that appears to be less profitable than breaking the agreement. So much for almost every claim on your website “guaranteeing” “unlimited” “reliable” hosting that is “better” and “professional”. The statement on your site, “we specialize in customer service” can now be considered laughable.

Of course, everyone involved with the Frogpants network will be henceforth opposed to patronizing your apparently fly-by-night operation. The Internet meme you might become aware of is this: Get out of the blue.

I encourage any and all customers of Bluehost.com to get out of the blue, before Bluehost.com suddenly leaves all of your content un-hosted. Get out of the blue as soon as it is feasible for you to stop paying a company that cannot be trusted with your blogs, forums, videos, podcasts and pictures. I am not suggesting that any customer stop payment if you owe Bluehost.com money. Don’t be like them, and break an established agreement. Just take the first, honest opportunity to get out of the blue and take your content to another host.

Mr. Heaton, I sincerely hope that this letter finds you well, and that you take the opportunity to comment below if you have anything to say here. Internet 2.0 is not a bum’s rush. Rather, it is an open and ever-expanding platform upon which those who speak have every opportunity to guide discourse, and those who remain silent increase the value of nothing.

Those who attempt to do any silencing will find such an attempt to be utterly impotent.

Thank you.

32. Anonymous says:

To: Matt Heaton, President and CEO of Bluehost

Mr. Heaton,

Thank you.

33. Mike says:

Matt,

I’ve always loved bluehost for the fact of super easy blog install. My own clients love that aspect of things. It is even easier to access than fantastico.

Kudos to you for running the show there!

34. I have been using Bluehost for about 6 years now, and I have been extremely happy with it, with one exception.

Like most people who design their own websites, I would love to be able to design a flash-based website without having to pay a small fortune to purchase the flash software.

It would be great if Bluehost would create a way for customers to use a drag & drop method to create flash websites for free which could be made from hundreds or even thousands of available templates, or could be custom made from scratch, like Wix.com does.

Please consider doing this. I have no doubt that it would bring many new customers to Bluehost, and may prevent current customers from leaving Bluehost to go to a host which provides such services.

Roxanne

35. Frank says:

Hi Matt,

I’ve been extraordinarily pleased with BlueHost up until tonight. Apparently, Bluehost experienced a Power outage which has affected me and your 1 million other customers. I am furious with you, personally. Not your organization, but YOU.

These things happen – to any company. They are sometimes unavoidable. I can forgive that.

But YOU, as a leader of the organization, have not posted one thing on your website advising us of this. Your customer service lines are busy, your online chat window automatically closes on me. And YOUR BLOG has no updates, either.

Now, I bet your own website is hosted on Bluehost. So if my site is down, yours probably has a problem, too. Which is a plausible excuse for not posting a big red notice on it.

But there’s Twitter. @Bluehost is the company account. It’s been branded by your company, and there’s ONE tweet on there – from February. You haven’t engaged us at all through Social Media. So instead of hearing from YOU that there was a problem, I had to Google #bluehost and find the live twitter stream. That’s unacceptable. You wouldn’t allow your cell phone provider to do that to you.

You have allowed a failure that affected thousands of customers to go without comment. Rather than making any attempt to own this outage, inform me, and reassure me, you have left me in the dark.

I am not promising to leave Bluehost, as prior to tonight, I’ve been happy. I even told all of my colleagues how much I enjoyed Bluehost. One signed up tonight, only to have this happen. You have demeaned my credibility by doing so. I don’t promise to leave, but I don’t promise to stay, either.

36. john mathew says:

I want to take your hosting.

But, the policy that “Catch all Emails” not allowed is a problem.
    Can you please lift this?

It will be very useful for Small business operators.

37. Dan Johnson says:

Matt, Repeat message because your hosting is absolutely horrible for anything with a back-end. Is this acceptable to you because you have failed to respond.

I have been a long time customer with bluehost.com and have steered many to your company for hosting. I have multiple domains hosted with Bluehost.com, but recently I have seen a severe degradation in your up time, support and ability to maintain my most recent domain – http://www.barrelandblade.com which uses MySQL and apparently your servers can’t manage these kinds of back ends very well. This is a serious issue for you as you compete in a large market. I have been on hold for over 15 minutes waiting for a “supervisor” and will hang up shortly. You seem like a good man, I hope you fix your hosting so that you don’t become BlueGhost.com. Thank you!

Dan Johnson
    715-544-4599
    danj@showjournal.com

38. Daneil Stan says:

Matt, love blue host but 1 of your support staff will lose you business…

Just had a conversation with a ( ahodgson ) via online support he was arrogant and didn’t reply to any questions.. he messed up my pages with a script error and just left it like that without response..i then tried access support again online only to be left waiting 50 mins – this is because i was being ignored.. Matt i was polite and had site issues that ahodgeson chose to ignor uncalled for…

39. Matt Heaton,

Now I’m 21 years old.I want to be a big entrepreneur like you.Best of luck.

Cheers,
    Mir Imran Elahi
    Dailyblogscoop.com

40. Marshall says:

1/31/11
    I have been very impressed with hostmonster and bluehost customer service for the last 5 years. Unfortunately my respect for you Matt went to zero tonight when I found out that Bluehost and Hostmonster is using my unassigned domain names that I own and pay registrar fees on each year to show a scrapper style page used for showing Google Adsense ads. This IMHO is sleazy to say the least. Apparently not only your companies but most all the webhosts have started doing a similar thing. That does not make it right. I own my website names and they are copyrighted. Using them without my permission to make money showing Google adsense ads runs the fine line of legal. Again IMHO. If you are doing this with all unassigned domains on your servers, it probably brings in a nice piece of change each month. You should offer to cut the owners of the unassigned domains in for some of the action. They might not be so offended when they find out what you are doing.

41. Rob says:

Matt,

As you do not make your email address readily available, I have no alternative but to complain to you via this blog.

I have numerous domains registered with you and I rent web hosting services from you. I have been a customer for many years.

Lately I purchased a new domain name and had a technical issue that I needed support with.

I have clearly and concisely described the issue to your support staff via email and submitted screenshots.

Almost every reply I receive is from a different support person and not one seems to be able to reply to my specific questions.

My time is valuable and this week it is being wasted by Bluehost staff. Whilst things normally sail along smoothly, the customer service I am receiving is dreadful. It is a very very painful experience.

As CEO you sit above all of this and my problems are invisible to you. However, it is important that you note what is happening to your customer service before it begins to eat into your revenue as I am bordering on transferring everything from Bluehost, and I am sure others will do the same.

I have advised your staff that unless I receive a satisfactory response, I will initiate a phased move away from Bluehost. I am awaiting a response.

Rob Llewellyn
    rob@consult-llewellyn.com

42. Please fix the webmail log on process. What a pain to log on to my webmail.

Please eliminate the redirect to blue host https: What a pain!!!!

My yahoo and google webmail don’t require such a process.

You have too many customers to aggrevate all of us at once

Thx.

43. Rob says:

Matt,

No response from you or your team.
    I pay you for a good service.
    You are not providing it.

The migration from Bluehost has begun and others will follow.

Take my word …this is not a good way to operate. You will discover it within your business at some stage in the future.

Rob Llewellyn

44. Mr. Heaton,

I’ll attmpt to be brief here but will be happy to elaborate further if requested. I have been a Bluehost customer for about 6 years now and by no means have any delusions that having me as a customer will impact your bottom line. With that said I wish to express my dismay at the recent resonse from the support team at Bluehost. I have had my sites hosted through Bluehost for 5-6 years with no problem whatsoever. On 2/21 the site was shut down because someone hacked the site and left malicious script behind. The person I spoke with was very helpful, did a search and sent me alist of files to delete and intructions on updating programs operating on my site. I followed these instructions and was put back on line. On 2/22 I was shut down again. I called tech support and a review was done, nothing was found and then was put back online. Again on 2/23 (today) my site was offline once again. By this time I have grown quite frustrated. I have done all that was asked, deleted files, updated software, etc. I was told that your company will discontinue service because of these problem. I asked to speak with a supervisior as I was certain that this was more the stance of a line worker who failed to represent the company, however, I was mistaken. The supervisor, Brice, quickly informed that it is the policy of the company to discontinue service in such circumstances. At this point I am just shaking my head. Perhaps I just came across a couple individuals who did not accurately represent Bluehost’s stance towards their customers, however, if you would be so kind as to clarify the company’s stance in such situations, it would assist me in my decision to continue my existing relationship with Bluehost or consider options with alternate providers.

Thank you for your time.

Cliff Mattson
    (850)785-7157
    cliff@schoolofdiscovery.net

45. Harry says:

You company hosts the most disgusting website http://christchurchquake.net/ and I urge you to stop so doing.

46. Dori says:

EXTREMELY unhappy with Blue Host. I have been live for less than 2 weeks and so far my sight has been down 4 times for several hours each time. Amazingly enough Blue Host site is up and running. interesting that you don’t feel your customers deserve the same functionality! Your team thinks that ‘we are working to fix the issues’ is an acceptable solution for being down 28% of the time. This is not what were were promised and not what we paid for! How seriously do you take your service record and what are you willing to do to rectify this???????

47. michael perry says:

As a fellow Utahn, i was curious if you knew about this site your company hosts

thanks for your time, i realize you are a hosting business and not responsible for content, but just thought you should know.

48. Jon says:

Your Web hosting company is fucking bollocks your support and hosting is absolutely a joke!

49. lo says: